Thursday, March 29, 2007

Funjaya Rant


What the crap is up with this kid Sanjaya? Is anyone else sick of hearing about him and/or looking at what hairdo he has this week? You all know my strong distaste for "American Idol"... Yes, even the auditions. "American Idol" to me is kind of like baseball season. I dread it before the start, it seems to last eons, and I couldn't care less about which team wins the World Series. But for some reason, I am bombarded with constant news coverage about the subject. To which I then have to shake my head in unison with my friends, not knowing whether I'm agreeing or disagreeing because I am exhausted from constantly explaining how much I detest the subject.

Every time I have turned on a TV or a computer lately (which is a lot), I see news headlines about Sanjaya. "Why is Sanjaya still on 'American Idol'? Vote in our poll." "What is your favorite Sanjaya hairstyle? Text 1 for Road Runner to 51414." Even Natalie Morales did a whole segment about it this morning on "The Today Show". You've got to be kidding me. I have to be bothered with this before my morning coffee? This kid, who no one seems to acknowledge the fact that he's a little light in the loafers, is getting all this credit for innovative hairstyles when he obviously has a stylist put together these looks for him. But I guess if I was his stylist I wouldn't want credit for that hair either. And not that I have watched the show to know, but like I said, I have to see constant clips of him on E! News... This kid can't sing worth a crap. Yet he's getting praised for his ability to connect with twelve year old girls. Just because one girl breaks down into tears does not mean you are a good singer, Sanjaya.

Everyone keeps wondering how Sanjaya with no singing ability can stick around the competition for so long. Are you people idiots? Does no one realize that the voting is fixed? While you're calling in nine billion times next Tuesday night, I hope you know you are wasting your time. To even think that your vote matters is to think that your vote actually counts in the presidential election. The producers are keeping him around because the press is having a field day with it, thus encouraging more people to watch.

Moral of the story, I'm so sick of hearing about this kid and "American Idol". I abhor Ryan Seacrest and I can't believe they allow a truly unstable Paula Abdul on live television multiple times a week with young children watching. They're just asking for something inappropriate to happen. Yet week after week, more people tune in. Then I have to come to work with people asking, "Did you see Sanjaya last night?" No. No, I didn't. The answer will always be a firm "no". But for some reason, I keep turning it to E! at 7PM basically handing Ryan Seacrest his paycheck while he forces me to watch clips of Simon being an ass or Sanjaya making an ass of himself. Damn you, Seacrest. Damn you.

Killa out